Browse Ageing Research Programmes
Ministry of Health-Italy
Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli (IOR), IRCCS
Need some help?
If you find yourself getting a bit lost, try using one of the links below to get back to the beginning:
- ◀ Go back to the start page
You can search the whole database for specific search terms, choose a country or browse by category.
- ◀ Perform an advanced search
Useful when you know what you're looking for, and where the data might be stored.
- Browse all Research Centres and Funders
See a list of all centres from where you can view details and the programmes and projects that are associated with that centre/funder.
- Browse all Research Programmes
See a list of all the research programmes in the database. When you look at one you will automatically see which Research Funder/Centre it belongs too, and you can explore this programme's projects or see other programmes within the same funder/centre.
- Browse all Researchers
Individual researchers are not "attached" to any particular project or programme. If you want to narrow down the list you could choose a country on the start page and look at the list on the left of the page..
Total number of funded projects
Summary of key aims
Ageing is associated with chronic low grade inflammatory response, however far from the levels evident in acute responses and in age-associated diseases that greatly influences their pathogenesis, progression and prognosis.
Modifications of cartilage, muscle and bone tissues, together with the increased risk of malnutrition and vitamin/micronutrient deficiency are involved in the reduced physical activity and resistance to infections in the elderly subjects, because many hormones and soluble factors involved in maintaining body composition can also influence the homeostasis of the immune system.
The three main topics on ageing at IOR are represented by:
1) the analysis of physiopathological modifications of immune/inflammatory response in the elderly in order to identify the characteristics that are critical for the ageing process;
2) the study of pathogenetic mechanisms of inflammatory and degenerative rheumatic diseases (the most common pathology in subjects over-sixty year old of industrialised countries) and related advanced diagnostic methods with particular attention to intra-articular and blood soluble mediators of progressive and chronic joint damage;
3) osteoporosis, (an age-related disorder characterized by low bone mass and increased bone fragility, resulting in raised fracture risks), that, attributed to various endocrine, metabolic and mechanical factors, is recently emerging as influenced also by pro-inflammatory bone-remodelling cytokines.
Dr Piero Picci
Via di Barbiano 1/10
Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli, IRCCS
Dr. Saverio Gnudi
Via Pupilli 1
Ministry of Health & Ministry for Education, U
MOH:0039 06 59941; M
Ministry of Health: Viale della Civiltà Romana 7, 00144, Roma
Ministry for Education, Universities and Research (MIUR): Piazzale Kennedy n. 20, 00144 ROMA
Is the project externally evaluated?
Who has evaluated, or will evaluate, the programme?
Ministero della Salute
What forms of international collaboration does the programme support?
- ▪ Travel for foreign collaborators
- ▪ Travel for national researchers
Interdisciplinary research is a strategic priority...
- For the programme ✔
- For the funding agency ✔
- Nationally ✔