Introducing the FLARE Fellows
It is our great pleasure, on behalf of ERA-AGE, to present some of Europe's most highly talented young scientists in the ageing research field. Each of them has won one of two rounds of Europe's first post-doctoral ageing research fellowship, in the face of very tough competition. For the first time, eight European countries joined forces to promote ageing research and, especially, the building up of capacity in multidisciplinary research amoung young scientists.
FLARE 2 Fellows (2011-2014/15)
Funded by Austrian Academy of Sciences; Academy of Finland (AKA), Finland; Caisse Nationale de Solidarité pour l'Autonomie (CNSA), France; Ministry of Health, Israel; Fonds National de la Recherche (FNR), Luxembourg; Ministry of Health and UEFISCDI, Romania, and; Swedish Council for Working Life and Social Research (FAS), Sweden
- Ana-Mara Buga - University of Medicine and Pharmacy Craiova, Molecular Medicine Department, Craiova, Romania. Project: Identification of axonal growth-relevant genes in the aged post-stroke brain
- Anna Dahl - Karolinska Institutet, Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Stockholm, Sweden. Project: Weight trajectories and health in late life; a life course approach.
- Henna Hasson - Karolinska Institutet, Medical Management Centre (MMC), Stockholm, Sweden. Project: Successful implementation of improvement programs in elderly care.
- Marko Korhonen - University of Jyväskylä, Department of Health Sciences, Gerontology Research Centre, Jyväskylä, Finland. Project: Can regular exercise slow the aging processes in muscle and bone ? International collaborative study on lifetime athletes
- Gitit Lavy Shahaf - Bar Ilan University, Dept: The Mina & Everard Goodman Faculty of Life Sciences, Unit: The Computational Immunology Lab, Ramat-Gan, Israel. Project : Understanding B cell lineage population and repertoire changes in aging, and in people with AIDS.
- Anja Leist - University of Luxembourg, INSIDE, Walferdange, Luxembourg. Project: Health in Old Age: A study on the interplay of Economic and Individual influences.
- Fredrica Nyqvist - National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), Mental Health Promotion Unit, Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, Helsinki, Finland. Project: Social Capital, Loneliness and Mental Well-Being in an Ageing Population: Social Inequalities
- Nicolas Sirven - Institute for Research and Information in Health Economics (IRDES), Paris, France. Project: Frailty Research in Economics, Society, and Health (FRESH)
- Ulrike Waginger - University of Vienna, Working group for Social Gerontology, Life Course and Social Policy Research, Institute of Sociology, Vienna, Austria. Project: Early Retirement and Well-being in Europe: A secondary analysis based on SHARE and ELSA
FLARE 2 Associate Fellows (2011-2014/15)
Due to the number of high quality applications received during the FLARE 2010 call, the Academy of Finland has funded another six FLARE applicants under a standard Finnish scheme. We are pleased to welcome six FLARE 2 Associate Fellows to the programme, who will also embody the FLARE programme's commitment to multi-disciplinary, multi-national European ageing research.
- Petra Grönholm-Nyman - Abo Akademi University, Department of Psychology and Logopedics, Turku, Finland. Project: Conigitive training in normal and aging and Mild Congitive Impairment.
- Kathrin Komp - University of Helsinki, Department of Social Research / Social Policy, Helsinki, Finland. Project: The moral economy of the third age. Why governments encouraging productivity in old age are unpopular.
- Jenni Kulmala - University of Jyväskylä, Gerontology Research Centre, Department of Health Sciences, Jyväskylä, Finland. Project: Are psychosocial symptoms and self-rated health early and shared risk factors for physical disability and cognitive decline in old age? (PSCog)
- Ulpukka Isophkala-Bouret - University of Helsinki, Institute of behavourial Sciences, Helsinki, Finland. Project: What is the matter with ageing and expertise? Narrative inquiry into the experiences of older workers who acquire Master's degrees in their fifties.
- Mirka Rauniomaa - University of Oulu, Faculty of Humanities, Oulu, Finland. Project: Back behind the wheel: Social interactional Perspectives on Older drives and driver education.
- Monika von Bonsdorff - University of Jyväskylä, Department of Health Sciences, Jyväskylä, Finland. Project: Dynamic retirement - Prospective analysis on early and midlife individual and work-related predictors.
FLARE 1 Fellows (2007-2010/11)
Funded by: the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Austria; Academy of Finland (AKA), Finland; Caisse Nationale de Solidarité pour l'Autonomie (CNSA), France; Projektträger des BMBF im DLR, Germany; Fonds National de la Recherche (FNR), Luxembourg; Executive Agency for Higher Education and Research Funding (UEFISCSU), Romania; Swedish Council for Working Life and Social Research (FAS), Sweden; and the UK Medical Research Council
- Yvonne Brehmer - Karolinska Institute, Ageing Research Centre, Stockholm, Sweden. Project: Mechanisms of Strategic Elaboration and Associative Binding in Episodic Memory: A Lifespan Developmental Approach
- Bérengère Davin - Research Unit UMR 912 "Economic & Social Sciences, Health Systems & Societies" INSERM, Marseilles, France. Project: Economics of formal and informal care for an ageing population
- Hans-Joerg Ehni - University of Tuebingen, Dept of Ethics and History of Medicine, Tuebingen, Germany; Project: A normative frame for the evaluation and regulation of Age-related Biomedical Innovative Interventions
- Antje Heinrich - MRC- Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, Cambridge, United Kingdom. Project: Age-related changes in the use of linguistic cues for speech intelligibility in background noise
- Anna Marie Herghelegiu - 'Ana Aslan' National Institute of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Bucharest, Romania. Project: Impact of metabolic control on cognitive function and quality of life in elderly diabetic patients
- Dietmar Herndler-Brandstetter- Austrian Academy of Sciences, Institute for Biomedical Ageing Research, Innsbruck, Austria; Project: Effect of interleukin 6 on T cell subsets in old age: A search for new markers of immunological competence and frailty
- Sarah Ehses (previously Ravi Jagasi) - Helmholz Zentrum München, Munich, Germany. Project: Role of mitochondrial dysfunction in astrocytes in brain aging
- Marko Kervinen - University of Oulu, Dept of Opthalmology, Northern Mitochondria Clinical Research Centre, Oulu, Finland. Project: Degeneration and Ageing - the effect of pathogenic mitochondrial mutations
- Julia Kiyan - Hannover Medical School, Dept of Nephrology, Hannover, Germany. Project: The urokinase receptor in vascular ageing: regulatory mechanisms and clinical perspectives
- Anastasia Meidani - University of Toulouse, Dept of Sociology, Toulouse, France. Project: Forms of ageing, dependency and responsibility : from public policies to the informal sector - Configurations of care and intrafamilial solidarity in France, Great Britain and Greece
- Chengzuan Qui - Karolinski Insitute, Ageing Research Centre, Stockholm, Sweden. Project: The role of lifestyle factors in the prevention of dementia: A life course approach
- Katarzyna Rubel - Université Montesquie Bordeaux IV, Centre for Comparative and Social Security Law, Bordeaux, France. Project: Dependency: The emergence and legal construction of a social risk in Europe
- Blossom Stephan - Cambridge University, Institute of Public Health, Cambridge, United Kingdom. Project: An integrated investigation of vascular cognitive impairment in population based studies across Europe
- Kristina Tiainen - University of Tampere, School of Public Health, Tampere, Finland. Project: Inflammation, muscle weakness and disability in older people
- Sandra Torres - Linköping University, National Institute for the study of Ageing and Later Life, Norrrköping, Sweden. Project: Elderly care in a globalised world: a study of cross-cultural interaction in the context of Swedish elderly care
- Birgit Trukeschitz - Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration, Research Institute for Economics of Ageing and Istitute for Social Policy, Vienna, Austria. Project: Quality of social care for the elderly - the effects of public funding on social care systems & social care provision
- Lynn Welter - University of Luxembourg, Life Sciences Research Unit, Luxembourg. Project: The impact of PPAR signaling on Alzheimer's disease
- Jochen Zeigelmann - Freie Universitaet Berlin, German Centre of Gerontology, Berlin, Germany. Project: Fostering Lifelong Autonomy and Resources in Europe: Behaviour and Successful Ageing (FLARE-BSA)
Keep reading in this section...
- Yvonne Brehmer
- Bérengère Davin
- Hans-Joerg Ehni
- Antje Heinrich
- Anna Marie Herghelegiu
- Dietmar Herndler-Brandstetter
- Sarah Ehses
- Marko Kervinen
- Julia Kiyan
- Anastasia Meidani
- Chengxuan Qui
- Katarzyna Rubel
- Blossom Stephan
- Kristina Tiainen
- Sandra Torres
- Birgit Trukeschitz
- Lynn Welter
- Jochen Zeigelmann
- Ulrike Waginger
- Marko Korhonen
- Fredrica Nyqvist
- Nicolas Sirven
- Gitit Lavy Shahaf
- Henna Hasson
- Anna Dahl
- Anja Leist
- Ana-Mara Buga
- Monika von Bonsdorff
- Mirka Rauniomaa
- Ulpukka Isopahkala-Bouret
- Petra Grönholm-Nyman
- Jenni Kulmala
- Kathrin Komp