Ministry of Health (MS) & UEFISCDI, Romania
Representatives to ERA-AGE
Ministry of Health
Prof. Mihail COCULESCU, M.D.
National Co-coordinator ERA-AGE
Vice-rector of "Carol Davila" University of Medicine and Pharmacy
Dr Catalina POIANA, M.D.
Professor Assistant of Endocrinology "Carol Davila" University of Medicine and Pharmacy.
Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research Development and Innovation (UEFISCDI)
Univ. Lecturer Aurelia CURAJ, M.D.- Gerontology and Geriatrics
National Co-coordinator ERA-AGE/Director of the Center of Ageing Policies-Dept. of Sociology and Social Assistance-University of Bucharest
Luciana BRATU - Expert
Executive Agency for Higher Education and Research Funding
Ministry of Health-MS is one of the providers for the research funds in Romania and it currently runs different national programs including the program on ageing-"The National Program on Geriatrics". The funds concerning ageing issues aim mainly to support the activities of the National Institute of Gerontology and Geriatrics "Ana Aslan"- INGG Ana Aslan, the world's first Gerontology Institute, located in Bucharest since 1956 (The Institute was created by the Professor Aslan and it has been made a huge impact in Geriatrics with the discovery and use of her creation, Gerovital-H3®, which is widely accredited as the first modern anti-ageing drug). The INGG Ana Aslan research topics are mainly in molecular biology, pharmacology and clinical research-mainly linked with Gerovital-Aslavital, and social gerontology.
There are also components ageing research related, that can be identified in other national programs funded by MS.
The Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research Development and Innovation (UEFISCDI) represents the most significant professional body in field of higher education and research funding management. It is organized and operates autonomously, under the Ministry of Education and Research-MEdC ultimate authority. It supports the activities related core financing for the higher education institutions and also funding of basic research in universities and research institutes. UEFISCDI supports the administrative activities of the National University Research Council (CNCSIS, http://www.cncsis.ro/ ) and of the Higher Education Funding Council (CNFIS, http://www.cnfis.ro/ ), consultative Councils of the Minister of Education and Research. The access at the research funds is only competitive based being funded large research projects, doctoral and post-doctoral studies, consortia on selected topics of interest.
Ageing research in Romania
The ageing research in Romania is performed by a large number of higher education universities ( 6 Public Universities of Medicine and Pharmacy and some other Universities with Faculties of Medicine and Faculties or Departments of Social Assistance) and research institutes (6 Public Health Institutes, "Ana Aslan" National Institute of Gerontology and Geriatrics, "Victor Babes" National Institute of Research and Development in Pathology and Biomedical Sciences, "C .I. Parhon" Institute of Endocrinology,etc). Part of their research is direct ageing research and related funds can be accounted as a consequence and part is only indirect ageing related research.
The public research funders in Romania are:
Ministry of Education and Research - MEdC- as program owner for two main funding streams
- Research grants system which is managed by the CNCSIS1, together with UEFISCDI2. CNCSIS-UEFISCDI-CNFIS were the institutions implementing the Higher Education and Research Reform Program co-funded by World Bank and Romanian Government (1997-2003).
- PNCDI-National Plan for Research, Development and Innovation, http://www.mct.ro/, which started in 1999 and has been developed to the actual structure, consisting of 14 programs from which at list two are giving funding support also for ageing research projects:
- VIASAN - life and health which is managed/administrated by the Academy of Medical Sciences;
- CERES - Research of Socio-Economic Interest, managed by IFIN - Institute for Nuclear Physics;
- Ministry of Health (MS)- The Department of Medical Assistance, Specialty Committees (with consultative role), through the Public Health Programs one of which being "The National Program on Geriatrics".
Romanian Academy (AR) as program owner for a significant number of different programs/projects, including a research grants system. The AR funds are accounted for 10%-15% of the whole national research budget. The beneficiaries are mainly researchers from the research institutes under the AR coordination (e.g. Research Institute on Quality of Life, The Institute of Cell Biology).
- Academy of Medical Sciences. It also acts as implementing agency for VIASAN Program.
- Other Ministries.
1. CNCSIS is the Romania representative in European Science Foundation since 2003.
2. CNCSIS was established bylaw in 1995 in the process of Higher Education and Research Reform in Romania having as a model Research Councils in UK; UEFISCSU was established bylaw in 2000 aiming to implement the managerial and administrative activities of the CNCSIS and also of the CNFIS-National Council for Higher Education