The aim of ERA-AGE 2 is to enlarge the consortium to a critical mass and use this to mount Europe's first ageing research programme supported principally by the Member States: the New European Dynamics of Ageing Programme (NEDA).
ERA-AGE 2 comprises thirteen partners who are each public authorities responsible for the funding and coordination of national research programmes, and since 2009 has recruited six associate partners. The expansion of the consortium enables and maximises the sharing of experiences and build a critical mass of ageing research.
The network is coordinated by the UK representative The New Dynamics of Ageing Programme and it is supported by a steering group of project partners.
- Develop and implement the framework for a second call for the FLARE postdoctoral programme (FLARE 2), based on the highly successful implementation of the first FLARE call.
- Provide the continuing European framework for the existing FLARE programme by arranging networking opportunities for the post-doctoral fellows, including Summer Schools and an online discussion group
- Ensure that the key stakeholders regionally, nationally and European are engaged in the activities of ERA-AGE and, thereby, contributing to the research response to the ageing challenge. The priority stakeholders are from the societal and political arenas. ERA-AGE's dissemination activities will be geared in these directions.
- Continue ERA-AGE essential knowledge transfer activities including further development of its databases aimed at providing evidence for policy, practice and product development in response to the ageing challenge.
- Engage the majority of European countries as ERA-AGE members following an explicit programme of engagement and clear eligibility criteria.
- Ensure a lasting basis for strategic collaboration between the ERA-AGE partners.
- Develop the framework for and agree an open memorandum of understanding concerning the NEDA programme to follow ERA-AGE 2, covering partner responsibilities, methods and levels of funding.
To achieve the objectives of ERA-AGE a series of joint activities and events have been designed to share knowledge and good practice and encourage new forms of transnational collaboration.
Key stages of the project
- develop and deliver FLARE 2
- undertake an extensive networking and community building programme
- engage with the various stakeholders in the ageing field
- create the basis for a major programme (NEDA)
- progressively extend the membership of ERA-AGE
- continue coordinating the current FLARE postdoctoral research programme
- maintain existing ERA-AGE databases and the develop new ones